Responsive Web Design
Responsive web design is a web design approach aimed at designing sites to provide an optimal browsing experience easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning and scrolling across a wide range of devices from desktop computer monitors to mobile phones. Responsive web design uses media queries to figure out the resolution of a device in question.
Considering these statistics:
- There are 6.8 billion people in the world – 5.1 billion of them now own a cell phone. (2013, Search Engine Watch)
- 28% of Internet usage comes from a mobile phone – it is projected to take over desktop usage by 2014. (2012, Pew Research Center)
- 50% of all local searches (e.g., Cedar Falls bank) are performed on mobile devices (2012, Google)
- 62% of companies that designed a website specifically for mobile had increased sales. (2012, Econsultancy)
- Thousands of screen sizes exist for mobile devices, and the number continues to grow.
|Responsive Web Design | Desktop View|
Purchasing over the Internet use to be considered as very risky and there were few just a brave people who actually opted for online shopping over the Internet. Things have changed. Shoppers have no qualms about spending on the Internet from the safely of their very own desktop computer. With the introduction of smart phones and tablets it is now possible to access the Internet on the go where ever you travel. In fact studies show that the people find it the mobile a better device to surf the Internet then the desktop computer. Besides which not everyone owns a computer compared to the fact that every third person posses a smart phone or a tablet computer.
With such changing trends the web sites designed by a designer that used to be optimized for a desktop computer now need to be viewable on the hand held devices as well. A web site that worked splendidly on the desktop computer is no longer sufficient for the web site owners because they also required it to be viewable on their cell phone, mobile or a tablet device. Thus web designers shifted to responsive web design which is capable of providing all that and more.
|Responsive Tablet Design | Smart Device View|
We recommend all of our clients consider responsive design for any new website we build. With responsive design, your site detects the type of device each site visitor is using. Flexible images and fluid grids then size correctly to fit the screen.